Monday, February 2, 2015

Week 2

Reading "Unpacking the Knapsack of Privilege" and the "Who Am I?" article served as self-reflection for me. Peggy McIntosh talked about her own privileges as a white woman in U.S. society. After reading her list of privileges, I came up with a few myself...from being able to attain an education from UT, to even the simplest ones such as having access to clean water. The "Who Am I?" article by Beverly Tatum, really emphasized the structure and stratified systems in our society such as the "dominant" and the "subordinate" groups. Tatum described our society in a nutshell: "Dominant groups, by definition, set the parameters within which the subordinates operate..." This pertains to the bureaucratic and institutional systems in our country. 
After completing the "Sorting Race Activity," the fact that stood out to me the most was COLORBLINDNESS WILL NOT END RACISM. I believe that this is the foundation and the first step to creating social change and to seek racial justice. We must first acknowledge the fact that racism still very much exists and that there are still extreme inequalities and disparities between groups.  

4 comments:

  1. I agree that colorblindness will not end racism. This is a very powerful comment because not all people see this. Some think ignoring the fact that racism is around us in our everyday life is going to simply make it disappear. We need to see that these inequalities and disparities do affect us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. They affect us all, as a society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise- I completely agree with your last paragraph. While one could think that ended racism would be as simple as choosing to ignore race and being "color-blind" it completely ignores the reality of these groups' experiences. Although it will take much more work to understand one another than choosing not to, I hope our society gets to this point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I totally agree with you. I like the writing style you use-- say it with power! Yes!

    ReplyDelete