Monday, February 23, 2015

Week 5

COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS - MANDELA: LONG WALK TO FREEDOM & SELMA

Prior to watching both of these films, I knew about the Civil Rights Movement and even some of the "censored" stuff society tends to hide, such as the violence and the sacrifices the leaders, activists, people, and protesters faced. I knew more systematic issues because I've taken many courses dealing with race, gender, and class in the United States while at UT. However, I didn't know much about apartheid in Africa, or the life of Nelson Mandela. I think the movie "Mandela: A Long Walk to Freedom" really put things into perspective for me, and provided me with more information on how hard it really was and must have been as a leader fighting the system that has oppressed you and your people all your life. Selma also gave me more details as to how violent the movement was. Although we tend to focus on just MLK Jr., there are many faces and leaders that helped us progress and thrive towards freedom. I think America and the government tends to just focus on MLK Jr. because he had more peaceful approaches...a way to sort of keep people from retaliating against the government. An example of a leader that isn't talked about in America's history textbooks is Malcolm X. He was a more radical leader and wanted liberation for all people. America and the government saw him and his ways of leading as a threat so he was also assassinated. The Civil Rights Movement was in no way peaceful. You can't expect groups of people who have been oppressed for centuries to not fight back or fight for justice. Both films also made me more grateful for all leaders, people, and activists involved. It was because of them that I have the privilege to have the world's best education and to even be in this country. I wish all people were informed about this information and REAL HISTORY. It's crazy how Black history and even Mexican American history is only taught as electives, yet the censored euro-centric colonial history is mandatory for all students.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree with the part on Mandela standing up and fighting for his cause. It makes me realize how the impact of technology and speech has enabled us to utilize these themes and apply it to our own rights and how we want to see change.

    ReplyDelete